Enrollment Requirements for Preschool:
1. Verification of Birth: All children entering Mercer County Schools are required to have a copy of their birth certificate as evidence of the correct birth date. This is accordance with Kentucky State Statute. We cannot accept a child’s hospital certificate but must have the official one issued by the state in which the child was born. Forms to order a copy of the official certificate are available from the school nurse or Mercer County Health Department.
2. Immunization Requirements: Children are required by state law to have a current Kentucky Immunization Certificate on file with the school before they are permitted to start school. Parents are responsible for maintaining their child’s current immunization certificate by keeping shots up to date. Parents should contact the Mercer County Health Department or their family physician and have these done well before the start of school.
3. Medical Examination/School Physical: A physical will be required for every child entering school for the first time. The results of the physical will be presented to school officials before the start of the school year.
4. Kentucky Eye Examination Form for School Entry: Due no later than January 1st of the first year that the child is enrolled (KRS 156.160.8g) requires proof of a vision examination by an ophthalmologist or optometrist.
5. Dental Screening/Examination: Kentucky Dental Screening Form must be presented to the school no later than January 1st of the first year that a five or six year old child is enrolled. Form must be completed by a dentist, dental hygienist, physician registered nurse, advanced registered nurse practitioner, or physician assistant.
6. Proof of Mercer County Residence. Example - a current utility bill which is mailed to your residence (NOT a P.O. Box)
7. An official copy of your child’s social security card/number is suggested but not required.