(All answers should be hand written on a separate piece of paper.)
1) What causes magnetism inside the atom?
2) What causes a material to be classified as “ferromagnetic”? Name some examples of ferromagnetic materials.
3) What is a magnetic domain? Sketch two images of a material that has magnetic domains, one that is magnetized and one that is unmagnetized.
4) Sketch a bar magnet. Label the poles of the magnet with an “N” and an “S”. Draw magnetic field lines (with direction) both inside and outside of the magnet.
2. Field Reversals
Read this 2-page article about geomagnetism from National Geographic
1) How long have scientists been recording the strength of the Earth’s magnetic field?
2) How does the magnetic field act like a shield?
3) What animals use the Earth’s magnetic field for navigation?
4) What is the average time between field reversals?
5) When is the last time the Earth’s field reversed?
6) What is the “geodynamo”, and what is believed to be the cause of it?
3. Magnetic Declination
Answer the next several questions using the following webpage as well the link that reads, “What is Magnetic Declination?” http://www.magnetic-declination.com/
1) What is magnetic declination and what causes it?
2) What do the terms “geographic north” and “magnetic north” mean?
3) What is the magnetic declination in Harrodsburg? + or - ?
4) Where, geographically, is magnetic declination the worst?