Mercer County Senior High School serves approximately 800
students in grades 9 through 12 in a state-of-the-art building that includes an
auditorium, an open cafeteria concept, a 2500-seat gymnasium, a beautiful Media
Center with updated electronic and print materials, an engineering classroom,
computer lab and mobile lab options for students, lecture/lab science
classrooms, a welding lab, a spacious greenhouse and a performing arts wing for
our band, choral and art programs. In addition, our students are able to take
advantage of the Harrodsburg Area Technical Center for industrial, medical and
technology offerings and the Sports Complex for weightlifting.
Our staff consists of 4 administrators, 2 counselors, 48 teachers and over 25 support staff members that work as a team to meet the needs of our students. 87% of our teachers have a master’s degree or higher with the average years of teaching experience for the faculty at 11.0 years. Our teachers support the students through their academic course offerings, an Advisor-Advisee structure of approximately 20 students per teacher and additional support through before and after school tutoring and consistent parent contact.
Our students are constantly recognized for both their academic and athletic achievements. Mercer County Senior High School continues to make gains in all academic areas. Our college/career readiness scores and graduation rate continue to rise as we prepare our students for college, technical school, transition to the work force or the military. Our most recent ACT scores from Spring of 2018 resulted in a composite score of 18.9 and 46% of our juniors met the school goal of a 20. Two of our students participated in the 2018 Governor’s Scholars Program. FFA and FCCLA demonstrate consistent success at both state and national competitions throughout the school year. Some of our achievements from the 2017-18 school year have included:
• Milk Quality team was FFA state runner-up and we also had the FFA state Impromptu winner.
• FFA welding team placed 1st at UK Field Day.
• Football team advanced to the state quarterfinals in Class 4A.
• Boys Soccer were Region Champions for the 3rd year in a row and played in
the state tournament.
• Band made it to the semi-final round of the state competition.
Soccer were Region runner-up.
• Titan Singers won 1st place overall choir and 1st in division
at National Choral competition.
• MCSH hosted its annual Veteran’s Day Program in November and had several veterans in attendance.
• Cheerleaders were Region Champions.
Tennis were Region Champions.
• One of the top producing schools in the state with 4 blood drives scheduled each year. Average between 65-75 pints donated each blood drive.
• Future Problem Solving Team were District Champions for the 3rd year in a
• Boys Basketball were District Champions and Region Runner-up.
• Girls Basketball were District Champions, Region Champions (4 years in a row) and STATE CHAMPIONS for the 2nd YEAR IN A ROW! Ranked 22nd in the nation by USA
• Boys Track were State runner-up with the 2A Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year
• Girls Track were Region and State runner-Up
• MCSH became the first school in the history of the state of Kentucky to produce a Mr. Basketball and Miss Basketball in the same year. Trevon Faulkner and Seygan Robins also were chosen as AP Player of the Year in Kentucky.
• Titan Learning Days have been a success so far.
Students at Mercer Senior High School have the opportunity
to take a variety of college-level courses during their high school career.
Advanced Placement courses that are offered include: AP Studio Art, AP 2D Art,
AP 3D Art, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP Language, AP
Literature, AP Statistics, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP U.S. History, AP
World History, AP Psychology and AP Spanish. In addition, students may take
Pre-AP English II, Pre-AP Algebra II, Pre-AP Geometry, Pre-AP Biology,
Pre-Calculus / Trigonometry in preparation for higher level honors courses.
Finally, students have the opportunity to receive free dual-credit college
credit through Morehead State University and Campbellsville University in many
Our high school has been focused on developing Career
Pathways for our students to provide them with a focus while in high school
that can benefit their future choice in a career. Possible pathway options at
Mercer County Senior High School include: Agricultural Power and Technical,
Animal Science Systems, Agriculture Education, Horticulture and Plant Systems,
Multimedia, Retailing/Wholesale, English, Engineering, Medical, Science, Sports
Medicine, Social Studies, Consumer and Family Management, Early Childhood,
Education, Fundamentals of Teaching, and Culinary Food Services. Additionally,
students can access these career pathways at the Harrodsburg Technical Center:
Welding/Manufacturing, Carpentry/Construction, Electricity/Construction, Web
Design/Office Technology, Automotive Repair/Transmission, Nursing/Health
Services, Networking/Information Technology.
Research has shown an important link between a student’s academic achievement and being connected to at least one activity or staff member at school. Our students have the opportunity to participate in a wide range of clubs, including Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), Key Club, Beta Club, Teens Against Tobacco Use (TATU), Book Club, Future Farmers of America (FFA), Spanish Club, National Honors Society, Music Club, Unity Club, Engineering Club, Science Bowl Club, Y Club, Art Club, Pep Club, FCCLA and Student Council. Our students can also participate in Marching Band, concert band, choir, drama productions (Fall play and Spring musical), the Mercer Revue (Spring variety show performance) and art activities outside of school. Titan Athletic opportunities include football, volleyball, soccer (girls and boys), cross-country (girls and boys), cheerleading, bass fishing, dance team, basketball (girls and boys), archery, baseball, softball, track (girls and boys), golf (girls and boys) and tennis (girls and boys).